NEU Coaching Support Offer
A fully subsidised 1:1 Headteacher coaching offer, designed to protect and nurture the emotional health and well-being of our school leaders.
We are now accepting expressions of interest for a potential next cohort of this programme in 2019. To express interest, simply fill in the form below…
Why is this offer being made to Headteachers?
Over the last few years the pressure, personal culpability and complexity of being a Head teacher has grown exponentially. Whilst the challenges of the role have intensified, there has been a marked demise in the care, trust and integrity with which Head teachers are treated.
This has been exacerbated by the diminished capacity of LA’s to offer advice and support. The result of which has been, Head teachers;
– Sacrificing the meeting of their own needs to meet the needs of those they serve.
– Constantly giving without building moments into their leadership life to replenish themselves
– Increased incidences of burnout and high attrition rates
It is clearly evident that new approaches need to be adopted to enable Headteachers to rise above the challenges of their roles and maintain their ability to lead and inspire others.
A New Approach for Supporting Heads
The NEU recognises the devastating impact of the increased pressures that Head teachers are facing. That is why the NEU has partnered with Integrity Coaching to offer extensive free coaching support to help to nurture the vocational vitality and emotional well-being of our school leaders.
At a time when school budgets are under considerable strain, this is a real blessing for many Heads who might otherwise not be able to get the support that they need.
What Can Head Teachers Expect from the Coaching Support?
Through working 1:1 with a skilled and experienced coach, Head teachers will be provided with a safe, confidential space where…
– They can share their thoughts, fears concerns,
– Explore issues that are of key importance to them
– Identify personalised strategies for securing success in their own contexts
This form of confidential, non-judgemental support has shown time and again that coaching helps Heads to:
– Discover how in times of great change, they can stay true to their core vision and values
– Understand how to cope with increased levels of public scrutiny and personal accountability
– Develop greater resilience, self-belief and ability to cope with the increased demands of the role
– Increase their ability to deal with the stresses and demands of their roles, so that they can maintain their ability to lead and inspire others
– Develop personal strategies for securing the best for the children and young people in their schools, without sacrificing their own well-being
Register Your Interest
To help you develop your courage, resilience and determination, our coaching process focuses on four key areas…
clarity about what you want for yourself and your school
Strengthening your moral purpose and ability to make the right (and sometimes tough) decisions
Creating positive beliefs about what can be achieved, to help realise your own strengths and capabilities
Embedding new behaviours to support the development of excellence in yourself and others
The entire programme will take place between September 2018 – July 2019 and will involve a mixture of face-to-face and telephone coaching support, facilitated by Integrity Coaching and the NEU.
What do Heads on the programme receive?
As part of this programme, NEU Heads will be offered…
– A Half Day Introductory group session: Three course meal, breakfast, lunch and overnight accommodation if required.
– Face to face support: Six, 2-hour coaching sessions across the duration of the school year
– Telephone Support: Three coaching telephone support calls
– A Half Day closing group session: Three course meal, breakfast, lunch and overnight accommodation, if required.
Friday 27 April 2018 – The deadline for applications will be on 27th April. We will aim to let all applicants know the outcome of their application in the following fortnight.
Saturday 9 June 2018 – all successful applicants will come together at a central venue for a joint introductory session hosted by the NEU and facilitated by Viv Grant, Director of Integrity Coaching.
September 2018 – The full programme commences and head teachers begin work with their coaches
If you’d like to express your interest, or simply find out more – please follow the link above and schedule a call with the programme facilitator, Viv Grant.
About Integrity Coaching
Integrity Coaching is London’s number one coaching company for head teachers and senior school leaders. Led by former Head teacher, Viv Grant, the company is committed to providing coaching services for school leaders to help them overcome the distinct pressures of their roles, so that their stress levels are reduced and they are able to maintain their ability to:
– Lead and inspire others
– Stay focused on their vision and values
– Maximise the performance of both their staff and pupils.
– Maximise their ability to impact on future generations
Our Mission – To support sustainable approaches to school improvement through the provision of services that increase resilience, and protect the emotional and psychological well-being of our nation’s school leaders.
Our Vision – Our vision is of a humanitarian school system led by emotionally and psychologically healthy school leaders who understand how to ‘probe their sense of purpose and invite deliberation about what matters most in good leadership.’ Our goal is to help them excel in overcoming the challenges of their roles and to keep hold of their humanity, joy and love for the profession and the communities they serve.
Click below to find out more about the benefits of Coaching and our Approach…
Previous Cohort Feedback
This offer was first run as a pilot scheme back in 2016-2017 by the NUT as a values-based initiative aimed at helping to nurture the vocational vitality and emotional well-being of our leaders.
However, very positive feedback from the pilot scheme and last year’s cohort, has again highlighted to the NEU the crucial role that coaching plays as a form of leadership support and convinced them to roll this out once more to their Headteachers.
“I hadn’t realised until now, just how important it is to have a safe space to talk about my feelings and the stresses of the role. God knows where I would have been without it!”
“Coaching has given me more than I had anticipated or expected. Invest in yourself. It’s worth it. It has helped me to overcome what can sometimes feel like the most isolating job in the world.”
“Even if you run an Outstanding school there is so much to be gained from coaching. I am very grateful to the NEU for the opportunity”
Learn how the NEU Coaching Offer can support you in your Role…
If you want to find out if the programme is right for your school or if you have any queries, you can now book a free call with programme facilitator Viv Grant to learn more…